** IMPORTANT ** From the Plumas County Sheriff's Office:
On Tuesday, November 20 at 1:00 at the Veterans Memorial Hall (225 Gay St) in Chester, there will be a FEMA Speakers Event.
This is an information and registration session for any displaced person(s) in Plumas County that were evacuated by the Camp Fire in Butte County.
It is very important that any displaced person(s) in Plumas County that were evacuated by the Camp Fire attend this event as they will be providing information regarding long-term assistance. **
This Chamber Board has established a formal process to aid the numerous people in our area who are affected by the Camp Fire.
The process is being run in coordination with the Chester Wellness Center, managed by Plumas County Behavioral Health.
If you or anyone you know is currently in the Lake Almanor basin and was affected by this tragic event, please ask them to go to:
Chester Wellness Center
372 Main Street
Chester, CA (next to Dollar General)
They will register with the Chester Wellness Center using the Lake Almanor Area Chamber of Commerce (LAAC) Registration Form (see attached).
Please bring photo ID if available; please come even if ID is unavailable.
We are encouraging everyone to register even if assistance is not currently being requested through the Chester Wellness Center – this will help give us an approximate count of the number of people here as a result of the fire.
Chester Wellness Center staff are taking registration forms and helping identify current needs. Needs are filled first from donated items located at the Chester Wellness Center, and then from donated funds.
As funds are available from our generous community and beyond, those funds are being used to support people in need in the Lake Almanor basin by:
1. Providing food through Dollar General and Holiday Market gift cards
2. Providing gas through a voucher program at Beacon
3. Providing clothing through a voucher program at Another Man's Treasure Thrift Store (if needed items are unavailable by donation at the Chester Wellness Center)
4. Starting a Wish List for impacted children, to replace a favorite item/toy through donations
5. Helping with other needs as coordinated through the Chester Wellness Center
We are working on adding the following assistance to the above list:
6. Current listing of available jobs in the Lake Almanor basin, in coordination with the Alliance for Workforce Development
7. Current listing of available housing in the Lake Almanor basin, with a coordinator to be determined. → If you have the ability to help in this capacity, please contact Susan Bryner (message the Chamber for contact information if needed)
If you would like to donate items to help support these efforts, the following are needed by the Chester Wellness Center (new items only, please):
- Baby formula
- Adult pull-ups (Depends), small & medium
- Female hygiene products
- Paper towels
- Paper plates
- Plastic silverware
- Toilet paper
- Sealable quart-size bags
- Pre-packaged food (e.g. Lunchables)
- Shaving cream
- Pet food
- Dollar General gift cards
- Holiday Market gift cards
PLEASE do not bring any items to the Wellness Center for donation EXCEPT the items in the list above (which will be updated as needs change). The staff and our volunteers are already spread extremely thin, and do not have the capacity to sort through used clothing / items. Thank you. <3
Monetary donations can be made to:
Lake Almanor Area Chamber (or LAAC) Camp Fire Fund
PO Box 1198
Chester, CA 96020
Funds collected: $3,627
Funds distributed: $1,987
Funds remaining: $1,640
Checks can be mailed or dropped off at either Plumas Bank or B&B Booksellers in Chester. We are in the process of setting up a way to donate to this fund online and will provide that information when available.
Please note that because the Chamber is not a 501(c)3 organization, it is our understanding that these donations are unfortunately not tax-deductible. However, these funds are being used solely to aid people currently in the Lake Almanor basin and affected by the fire.
Thank you for any assistance you can provide.
Please bookmark this site for future updates and needs will continue to change and or
visit https://www.facebook.com/lakealmanorarea/ If you need more information please call the chamber office at 530-258-2426.